Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto, Himeji, and Kochi. 關口正徳 (Sekiguchi Masanori), [Sekitoku 關徳]. Meiji 14 (1881). Stock ID #153792
3 volumes printed in copper plate, 2 volumes of text with accompanying coloured atlas of China. Delicate black and white illustrations in text. Volume I: 74 leaves. Volume II: 55 leaves. Volume III: 10 double page coloured maps. Each volume in original yellow embossed card covers, 4 hole stab binding. Covers little soiled, neat inked title along lower edges and spines of two volumes, neat note paste down of volume III. Closed tear lower paste down volume III, little occasional minor browning, numbers in red ink upper cover first volume. This is a three-volume dictionary explaining the words which appear in Jūhasshiryaku 十八史略 [Summary of the Eighteen Histories]. Summary of the Eighteen Histories was an introductory Chinese history book for children compiled by Zeng Xianzhi 曾先之 in the Yuan period. The dictionary (volumes 1 and 2) have notes and together with some illustrations on the upper sections of the pages.
The third volume titled Rekidai enkaku ryakuzu 歴代沿革略圖 [Rough maps of successive dynasties] on the striking title page printed on a brown leaf, is a collection of historical map in colours with some brief information on the dynasties.
The maps are:
1) Shūsei ijō-zu 周世以上圖: Map of the Zhou period and earlier;
2) Shunjū sengoku-zu 春秋戰國圖: Map of the Spring and Autumn period and the Warring States period;
3); Sengoku shichiyū-zu 戦國七雄圖: Map of the Seven Warring States;
4) Shin no zu 秦之圖: Map of the Qin dynasty;
5) Tōkan zu 東漢圖: Map of the Eastern Han dynasty;
6) Sangoku no zu 三國之圖: Map of the Three Kingdoms;
7) Ryō-Shin Nanbokuchō Zu 兩晋南北朝圖: Map of the Western and Eastern Jin and the Northern and Southern Dynasties;
8) Tō zu 唐圖: Map of the Tang dynasty;
9) Sō zu 宋圖: the Map of Song dynasty; 10) Ajia-shū zenzu 亞細亞洲全圖: Complete map of Asia. (When referring to this item please quote stockid 153792).